In and Out

Just started my month of outpatient internal medicine, after a long stint of inpatient. It took the better part of a day to adjust my priorities...

Me: Did you notice that small lesion on the patient's hand?
Attending: Yes, I think it's actinic keratosis but I don't like the induration and surrounding erythema. I'm tempted to start a course of 5-FU, but will arrange a derm referral.

Whereas the same conversation on morning rounds in the hospital might go something like:

Me: Did you notice that small lesion on the patient's hand?
Resident: Feh.

The beauty of this contrast is that future doctors can pick what kind of problems they manage, and in what setting. Feh? Or no feh?

UPDATE: Feet First illustrates this concept with a nice anecdote. And she points to this wry bit of reporting about a man ... who is "said to be very popular in Germany."