Free for all

Michael Moore's new documentary on the shortcomings of American healthcare, Sicko, has been pirated and is available on various P2P torrent networks. Last weekend, it appeared on Google Video as well.

When his film Fahrenheit 9/11 was pirated, Michael Moore said:

"I don't agree with the copyright laws and I don't have a problem with people downloading the movie and sharing it with people as long as they're not trying to make a profit off my labour. I would oppose that," Moore told the Scottish Sunday Herald. "I do well enough already and I made this film because I want the world to change. The more people who see it the better, so I'm happy this is happening."


Say what you will about the man, but Moore has put his money where his mouth is (between snacks, presumably). The film reveals Moore donated $12,000 to an anti-Moore site so the webmaster could keep it operational while taking care of his ailing wife (the webmaster thanked Moore).

For a guy who's advocating unfettered access to something as expensive and important as healthcare, it's nice to see Moore's not shy about making his work freely available, as well. Or, like his critics say, maybe the extra buzz is just good for ticket sales.