Electric Bugaloo

Step 2 wasn't so bad... I think. Actually, there was a point about seven hours into it where my computer froze -- just for a moment -- and I thought: I really hoped they saved my answers. There's no way I'm taking this again.

What happens during power failures? Are the students asked to come back, and go through the nine-hour exam again? I've heard the 360-odd questions on USMLE tests are drawn from a bank of thousands, so it's unlikely students can take advantage of a repeat administration. But can they really expect students to sit through it, twice?

I wouldn't be surprised. One of the test-takers at my center was a German doctor, who had flown in to take Step 3. That two-day exam is apparently not offered outside the US. It's incredible what they make foreign medical grads go through to practice here.