Transition

Today, Lileks compares antique stores to funeral parlors -- the sadness that surrounds forgotten treasures of our past, abandoned when we go off to school. Coincidentally, I was just musing to a friend about my old Snoopy pencil-case today, which always signified the end of summer and start of another year of elementary school.

It's taken twenty-five years, but I'm not a student anymore. Tomorrow is my first day of work.

I wish I had more to say, more I could articulate about this transition. I'm going to try to heed Doc Shazam's advice, and record my early impressions of doctoring and internship. But for these past few weeks, it seems I've lost my voice. Blogging, for me at least, requires some modicum of stability, and these heady times have been anything but stable.

But I've found a new home, and a busy schedule is about to be thrust upon me. Order will reassert itself soon enough. And as Ben Folds reminds us on his new album, it's not wise to get nostalgic about the last ten years, before the last ten years have passed.

I think I get what he means. But of course, it's his song about airlines and new beginnings that really speaks to me:
If you wrote me off, I'd understand it
'Cause I've been on, some other planet
So come pick me up... I've landed.

The entry below is actually something I wrote a few weeks ago, around graduation, but couldn't quite bring myself to post. Now seems like a good time to clear out the drafts -- a new wave of experiences begins in a few hours.